My Guide Website?
Chicago: Riverwalk Self-Guided Walking Tour10 Reviews
Explore Chicago’s scenic Riverwalk on a self-guided tour. Admire some of Chicago’s most beautiful architecture and dive into its fascinating history as you take a leisurely stroll alongside the river.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Chicago:If youʻre booking your trip to Chicago last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Become an overnight expert on Chicago’s skyscrapers
- Enjoy the breeze rolling off Lake Michigan and watch the sun glimmer off skyscrapers and the Chicago River
- Hear the story of the angry 19th-century mob that tore down a bridge with axes
- Take the tour at your own pace, stopping to further explore the city whenever and wherever you’d like
- Follow a tour developed by local guides, curated by creative writers, and narrated by professional voice artists
DescriptionStart by downloading the Action Tour Guide app, which will function as your personal tour guide, audio tour, and map. NOTE: This 2-mile-long tour covers the essentials of Riverwalk in 1-2 hours. Learn about Chicago's history, culture, and architecture on a self-guided tour via an app. Enjoy animated videos allowing you to visualize what you cannot see, such as snapshots from different centuries or interior rooms. Start by downloading the app that will function as your personal guide, audio tour, and map all in one (download instructions received via email after booking). After downloading the app, head to the starting point of the tour at McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum. As you being to walk, spot the DuSable Bridge and learn about the iconic terracotta Wrigley Building. From there, head west and pass Wabash Bridge, once voted America’s Most Beautiful Bridge. After that, see the Chicago Vietnam Veterans Memorial, a tribute to the soldiers who lost their lives during the Vietnam War. Next, stop by the 600-foot Marina Towers. Learn how these towers function as a “city within a city.” Head to the Dearborn Street Bridge and hear why an angry mob once gathered here with axes. Listen to the tale of one of the strangest and deadliest shipwrecks in American history. Learn how a devastating shipwreck happened on a river only 20-feet deep. Continue on toward the Merchandise Mart, a gorgeous example of Art Deco architecture. Learn how the Chicago River helped this city go from a small settlement to a bustling hub of culture and commerce. Next, arrive at Wolf Point, where Chicago’s very first hotel stood almost 200 years ago. Dig into the era when this place was little more than a wild frontier, then head back the way you came for the final section of the tour. Stop at the Tribune Tower containing pieces of historic buildings from across the world, including the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Berlin Wall. Next, come face to face with NBC’s Chicago headquarters, modeled after the famous skyscraper at 30 Rockefeller Center. Finally, arrive at the last bridge separating the Chicago River from Lake Michigan, where the tour concludes. Take in the soothing scenery and snap a few photos for your Instagram.
IncludesA link to download the Action Tour Guide app and a unique password for your tour(s). An audio guide, location-aware map, and storyteller — all in one mobile app tour. Our mission: To explore the world and its many stories. Join us! Excellent value: Buy only one tour per car. Don’t hassle with “per person” bus tickets. Ease of use: Stories auto-play based on your location so you don’t have to do anything once you’ve started. Offline map: Works without a cell signal or wifi once downloaded. Hidden gems: Visit often-missed spots and enrich your experience with little-known history. Flexibility: Explore at your own pace with no fixed schedule. Take a break, a hike, whatever, and pick up where you left off! No expiration date: Your tour is valid for life. Listen whenever, wherever, and however often you want. All-day support line: Call, chat, or email for help.
- This tour is a self-guided mobile app tour with a map, audio stories, and images.
- Access the tour on the Action Tour Guide app (separate from the Get Your Guide app).
- Use the unique password received after booking to download & preview your specific tours before you arrive.
- Start at the Starting Point. Follow the tour route. All audio stories play automatically based on your location.
- Flexible schedule: Use it on any day and at any time, or over multiple days. No need to rebook if your travel plans change.
- Lifetime access: Use it on your next trip here! This tour never expires.
- Walking tour: Use one tour per couple and share headphones.
- Get support by calling, chatting, or emailing - all day long.