My Guide Website?
Petrified Forest National Park Self-Guided Audio Tour5 Reviews
Discover an ancient world turned to stone with a self-guided drive through Petrified Forest National Park. Explore desert vistas, see petrified trees, and check out abundant fossils along the way.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Chicago:If youʻre booking your trip to Chicago last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Chicago: Taste of Chinatown Food Walking Tour
- Chicago: Gangsters and Ghosts Guided Walking Tour
- Chicago: 360 Chicago Observation Deck Skip-the-Line Ticket
- Chicago: Mob and Crime Bus Tour
- Chicago: Go City Explorer Pass - Choice of 2 - 7 Attractions
- Experience an ancient world preserved in stone
- Explore vast desert vistas, a spectacle of nature
- Discover the unique beauty of petrified wood
- Learn about the abundant fossils of this landscape
- Delve into the formation of this unique region
DescriptionStart by downloading the Action Tour Guide app, which will function as your personal tour guide, audio tour, and map all in one. Purchase one tour per car, not per person. Everyone listens together! Note: This 28+mile-long tour covers the essentials of Petrified in 2-3 hours. Once downloaded, your tour begins at the Painted Desert Visitor Center by the park’s north entrance. From there, you'll head to Toponi Point, offering a panoramic view of the Painted Desert's multicolored badlands. Next is the Painted Desert Inn, a National Historic Landmark. Learn about its storied past, from a 1920s tourist destination to a park museum. Its unique Pueblo Revival style architecture, charming murals, and captivating vistas make it a must-visit. After that, you'll drive to the Puerco Pueblo, the site of a 100-room pueblo inhabited over 600 years ago. Here, you can also see a solar calendar—a rock slab with petroglyphs that mark the summer solstice. Then, visit Newspaper Rock, home to over 650 petroglyphs left by Puebloan people centuries ago. Ponder the stories these symbols might tell, providing glimpses into the life and culture of ancient inhabitants. Continuing on, you'll encounter the Tepees, fascinating formations notable for their layers of vibrant rock. Then, venture on to the Blue Mesa, a place where blue-hued badlands and petrified wood coexist, presenting a visually striking contrast. Learn about the late Triassic environment that created these wonders over 200 million years ago. After that, explore the Jasper Forest and Crystal Forest, breathtaking trails that provide up-close looks at petrified wood strewn across the landscape. Finally, you’ll reach Rainbow Forest Museum by the southern entrance of Petrified Forest National Park. The tour concludes here.
IncludesA link to download the Action Tour Guide app and a unique password for your tour(s). An audio guide, location-aware map, and storyteller — all in one mobile app tour. Our mission: To explore the world and its many stories. Join us! Excellent value: Buy only one tour per car. Don’t hassle with “per person” bus tickets. Ease of use: Stories auto-play based on your location so you don’t have to do anything once you’ve started. Offline map: Works without a cell signal or wifi once downloaded. Hidden gems: Visit often-missed spots and enrich your experience with little-known history. Flexibility: Explore at your own pace with no fixed schedule. Take a break, a hike, whatever, and pick up where you left off! No expiration date: Your tour is valid for life. Listen whenever, wherever, and however often you want. All-day support line: Call, chat, or email for help.
- This tour is a self-guided mobile app tour with a map, audio stories, and images
- Access the tour on the Action Tour Guide app (separate from the Get Your Guide app)
- Use the unique password received after booking to download and preview your specific tours before you arrive
- Start at the meeting point. Follow the tour route. All audio stories play automatically based on your location
- Flexible schedule: Use it on any day and at any time, or over multiple days. No need to rebook if your travel plans change
- Lifetime access: Use it on your next trip here. This tour never expires
- Driving tours: Use one tour per car and connect to the car speakers
- Get support by calling, chatting, or emailing all day long